Home
  Events
  Advisors
  Cathedral Chapter
  Speeches & Letters
  Photos
Diocesan Curia
History
Parishes
Safeguarding
Gallery
 


                            ARCHBISHOP PHILIP TARTAGLIA
 

 

Most Rev Philip Tartaglia,

Ph.B., S.T.D.

Archbishop of Glasgow

Philip Tartaglia was born at Glasgow on 11th January 1951. He is the eldest son of Guido and Annita Tartaglia and has three brothers and five sisters. After his primary schooling at St. Thomas’, Riddrie, he began his secondary education at St. Mungo’s Academy, Glasgow, before moving to the national junior seminary at St. Vincent’s College, Langbank and, later, St. Mary’s College, Blairs, Aberdeen. His ecclesiastical studies were completed at the Pontifical Scots College, and the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.

He was ordained Priest by Archbishop Thomas Winning in the Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Dennistoun, on 30th June 1975. He then returned to Rome where he completed his ordinary course of studies in 1976 before beginning his research for his Doctorate in Sacred Theology. In 1978 he was additionally appointed as Dean of Studies at the College in Rome, and was also acting Vice-Rector.

On completing his Doctorate in 1980, on the Council of Trent’s teaching on the Eucharist, he was appointed assistant priest at Our Lady of Lourdes, Cardonald, while at the same time becoming visiting lecturer at St. Peter’s College, Newlands, Glasgow.

A year later, he was appointed Lecturer at St. Peter’s College, Newlands, becoming Director of Studies in 1983. When Chesters College, Bearsden, opened in 1985 he was made Vice-Rector. In 1987 he was appointed Rector.

He served as Rector until 1993 when he was sent to St. Patrick’s, Dumbarton, as Assistant Priest before being appointed Parish Priest of St. Mary’s, Duntocher in 1995. In 2004, the Bishops’ Conference asked him to return to seminary as Rector of the Pontifical Scots College, Rome.

On 13th September 2005, it was announced that Father Philip Tartaglia had been nominated by Pope Benedict XVI as Bishop of Paisley.  On 20 November 2005, the Solemnity of Christ the King, he was ordained bishop in St Mirin's Cahedral by Archbishop Mario Conti.  The co-consecrating bishops were Archbishop Raymond Burke of St Louis, Missouri and Bishop John Mone, Emeritus Bishop of Paisley. 

Archbishop Tartaglia took possession of the See of St Mungo in St Andrew's Cathedral, Glasgow, on Saturday 8th September 2012, the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The Archbishop’s Episcopal motto is the Latin phrase, “Da robur, fer auxilium”, taken from the traditional Eucharistic hymn “O Salutaris Hostia”, composed by St. Thomas Aquinas. These words serve as an invocation: “Thine aid supply, thy strength bestow.”

 

ARCHBISHOP EMERITUS MARIO CONTI
Most Rev. Mario Joseph Conti
K.C.H.S., Ph.L., S.T.L., D.D., F.R.S.E.
Archbishop Emeritus of Glasgow

Mario Joseph Conti, son of Louis Joseph Conti and Josephine Quintilia Conti (ms Panicali) was born at Elgin, Moray, 20th March 1934. He was educated at St Marie’s Convent and Springfield School, Elgin, and entered the Minor Seminary of St Mary’s College, Blairs. He was then, in 1952, sent by Bishop Francis Walsh to the Scots College, Rome, to study for the priesthood for the Diocese of Aberdeen.

He gained a Licence in Philosophy in 1955 and also in Theology in 1959 both from the Gregorian University, Rome. He was ordained Priest in the Church of San Marcello al Corso, Rome, by Archbishop Luigi Traglia on 26th October 1958.

After completing his studies in 1959, he was appointed Assistant Priest, St Mary’s Cathedral, Aberdeen. He was appointed Parish Priest of St Joachim’s, Wick and St Anne’s, Thurso in 1962.

He was nominated Bishop of Aberdeen on 28th February 1977, was ordained bishop by His Eminence Gordon Cardinal Gray, Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, at Aberdeen on 3rd May 1977.

He was appointed Archbishop of Glasgow by His Holiness Pope John Paul II on January 15th 2002 and took possession of the Archdiocese on Friday 22nd February 2002 in Saint Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow.


Pope John Paul II bestowed the Pallium on Archbishop Conti on 29th June 2002. In October 2004, he was appointed Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Paisley until the succession of Bishop Philip Tartaglia in November 2005.

Archbishop Conti is a member of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity.

He is President of the Heritage Commission of the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland.

The Archbishop is a member of the Catholic Bishops’ Joint Committee for Bio-Ethics and of the Central Council of ACTS (Action of Churches Together in Scotland).

He holds the following honours:

  • Commendatore nell’Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana, 1981
  • Honorary D.D. (University of Aberdeen), 1989
  • Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem and a Knight of the Order of St John of Jerusalem Rhodes and Malta, 1991; Principal Chaplain to the British Association of the Order of Malta, 1995-2000
  • Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
  • Honorary Professor of Theology at the University of Aberdeen, 2002
  • Grande Ufficiale della Stella della Solidarieta' Italiana