Rev Michael Patrick Gordon was born in Dumbarton in 1883, the son of Michael and Mary Gordon of Chapelton House. After attending St Mungo's Academy, he was a student at Blairs College, Aberdeenshire, St Peter's College(then at Hungryhill, Bearsden), and then the Scots College, Rome. He was ordained in Rome in 1907.
He served in the parish of St Alphonsus, Glasgow, before becoming Professor at St Peter's College, the archdiocesan seminary, where he served from 1910-1917.
On 7 July 1917, the "London Gazette" recorded his appointment, together with those of Rev George Galbraith and Rev Octavius Francis Claeys, as a temporary Chaplain, 4th class, to the Forces. Gordon was attached to 15 Corps Main D.S 32 Division which appears at that time to have been tasked with trying to keep open routes via channel ports. He was based in Belgium in a village known as Coxyde, which was used for billets. He was sharing a billet with Rev Octavius Claeys, when a shell hit their building. Claeys survived, but Gordon died of his wounds on 27 August 1917.
Gordon is buried in Coxyde Military Cemetery, West Flanders, which, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission states, is about a mile from the coast, and on the west of the village of Koksijde on the road to De Panne and about 10 miles east of Dunkirk.
To view the Commonwealth War Graves Commission information on Fr Gordon, click here.
The Calvary memorial to Fr Gordon is now located in the grounds of Immaculate Conception church on Maryhill Road. Other memorials to him are the statue of St Michael the Archangel in his native parish of St Patrick's, Dumbarton, and the dedication of the parish of St Michael's, Dumbarton.